Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Anti-Bully Day

Today the morning news informed me that it's anti-bully day and that we're to all wear pink to show that we're against bullying. I don't normally go for these "wear-a-colour-to-show-support" things, yet I pulled out one of the few pink shirts in my wardrobe.

A little known fact about me is that I was bullied when I was young. It's such a nasty thing, being both physically and psychologically abused by your peers. There is something very animal about it, a pack mentality to put down those who are perceived as different. I was seen as different for making a variety of weird, random jokes that children around me never seemed to understand.

My parents never believed the bullying was as bad as I claimed, coping with the situation by downplaying it and telling me I was over-reacting. The loneliness I felt at that time affected me very fundamentally. I don't think it's any coincidence that I discovered a passion/ obsession for martial arts and the strength and confidence it gave me.

So if you're a parent and you have kids that tell you about them or their friends being bullied, take it seriously. I was lucky. I managed to find an inner strength, never quite believing I was as worthless as the bullies said I was. Not every child does and the psychological damage that results can last for a lifetime.

Either that or they'll end up obsession for the martial arts... :P.

1 comment:

John Vesia said...

What's ironic is that bullies almost always have had a history of being abused themselves. Not that I condone their behavior, but it helps to have that sort of insight.

It's true that some victims of bullying end up in a dojo. Unfortunately, sometimes bullies can even be found there.