Thursday, January 3, 2008

Skipping: the Ultimate Cardio Work-out

I've always used skipping as my main form of cardio training. Not only does it develop your coordination in addition to your cardio (especially if you do it like this guy does), but it's just more fun than running or other more repetitive forms of cardio training. It is one of the most effective cardio work-outs there is. There is a reason it has traditionally been included in the standard boxing conditioning program.

As part of my training for MMA, 3-4 times a week, I do a skipping work-out. I do three 5-minute sets with a 1-minute break in between. This is the standard time of rounds in pro MMA. I try to vary my footwork and and practice a variety of skipping skills for the first 4 minutes and 20 seconds of each round. Then for the last 40 seconds I do double jumps (rope rotates twice around per jump) while jack-knifing my legs. This simulates an intense burst, providing extra anaerobic conditioning.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Lori,

Great post. I'd say skipping is probably #2 for me, next to the VersaClimber. Not sure they're available anymore, but it's like climbing a rope fast. Think stepper and rowing machine put together. I'd use that, running, and skipping to prepare for my kickboxing and boxing bouts. Enjoying your workout updates, though, keep it up!