Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Fighting Fatigued

This picture represents my point of view while sparring my students last night. Never had I been punched so many times in the face by them. Five times I took hits in the face. This is completely unheard of for me. This is the result of fighting fatigued.

Last night, I conducted an impromptu experiment. I completely tired myself out before teaching my class (1.5 hours training with my MMA coach, followed by 30 minutes of sparring with a skilled sparring partner that outweighs me by 40 lbs). I then sparred with each one of my students after their warm-up.

I had very little energy left by the time I started sparring my students. I was amazed to see how much this affected my ability to fight. My hands kept dipping in my guard. My attacks were clumsier. My accuracy and precision were inexistent. As a result, my students kept clocking me. I felt powerless against people I usually out-manoeuvre or at least hold my own against. My students were having a field day with me.

This serves as further reminder of the importance of conditioning. No matter how good your technique is, if you get tired, it all goes to pot.

No comments: