Monday, September 22, 2008

Taking a Vacation from My Dojo

For the past week, I've been away from Vancouver on vacation. I went down to the San Francisco area to be a bride's maid at an old friend's wedding. Being the head of a dojo, it's hard for me to leave my dojo for an entire week. I wouldn't do it if I were forced to cancel classes (unless they were already being cancelled due to holidays). The reason I was able to do it was because I have people I can rely on, for which I am very grateful.

I had to miss 3 classes so I got two of my more senior belts to each take over a class. I also got my MMA coach along with one of the boxing instructors he works with to take over a class, teaching grappling and boxing skills. I'm sure that was interesting as they run a very different style class from the kind I teach.

I am very appreciative that all these different people were willing to step in to help me, otherwise it would be very difficult for me to go on vacation. I hope that the students who attended these classes enjoyed them and were able to benefit from the different instructors. I'm very interested to hear how it all went when I get home tomorrow.

2 comments:

Lori O'Connell said...

I heard back from the students who attended these classes and all had very positive things to say. Thanks go out to Glenn, Jenny and Jeff!

BBat50 said...

I take classes in a big school so absences by a single teacher are easily covered by the others. Once, during my black belt cycle, the instructors were all involved in a show so rather than have a weekend free, they had a coach (who was part of our school and runs a school PE program) lead us for the morning. It was very interesting to train in a different style. Invigorating. I'd like more diversity. So I think you did your students a favor...