Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Why I Get Nervous at Student Belt Tests

Over the weekend, I tested 4 students for yellow belt. Every time my students step up to test, I get a little nervous. It may seem strange; after all, I'm not the one who is being tested... or so it would seem.

The reason why I get a little nervous is that it is actually quite the opposite. I am, in fact, being tested when my students test, even though I am the one that is technically administering the test. The level of improvement between belt tests is a measure of my abilities as an instructor. As my Sensei always told me, "If the student hasn't learned, the teacher hasn't taught."

If a student doesn't do well on a test, either because they forgot certain things, they weren't in good enough shape, or their technical performance wasn't up to par, it's because the instructor hasn't been paying close enough attention to that student over the course of his or her training. Or perhaps the instructor hasn't given them enough time to prepare for the test. Either way, they must take responsibility when the student hasn't learned what they were supposed to.

I'm happy to report, however, that all 4 students passed their yellow belt tests. They not only passed, they showed massive improvements since they started their training several months ago. And I can derive some satisfaction knowing that I did my job as an instructor. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well , i remmeber i use to get fever on my test day .

Michele said...

Congratulations to your new yellow belts. I agree ... I get nervous during belt testing. As an instructor, I want to make sure that I provide the students will the material they need to succeed during a test.